Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Day Two - Primo Joe's Pizza, Dixon IL

Day Two


We arrived in Dixon, IL on May 22. After joining up with some of my extended family, we began the decision process of which pizza place we would sample for dinner. Dixon has a few independent pizza parlors and they have all been around since the 1960's. We settled on Primo Joe's (or just Joe's) Pizza. I may have eaten there once or twice before, but if I had, it had close to 3 decades, so the memories were all faded.






Arriving in the parking lot in back, we were greeted by a wonderful painting on the back outer wall of the restaurant. Heading in through the side (dining) entrance, we were told we could sit wherever we wanted. Pulling a few tables together, we sat down and began to check out the wares. I looked around and felt another wave of nostalgia, just like at Bordenaro's. Red plastic tablecloths, a juke box, brick arched doorways, old stackable chairs for seats - I loved it! After pulling a few tables together and putting in our drink order and a few things to sample, we chatted and waited the usual 20-25 minutes for our pizzas to arrive.


In addition to my prerequisite choice of Italian sausage and mushrooms, we also ordered an Italian sausage with green peppers, green peppers with onions, and a plain cheese pizza. As you can see from the photo, these were traditional Midwestern party (square-cut) pizzas. I was immediately transported back to Bordenaro's in Iowa upon seeing the pies. And also, to a certain extent, in tasting them. The crust was similar in terms of its biscuit/cracker texture, but perhaps just a little less flavor than Bordenaro's. The sauce was very different: much more the traditional sweeter pizza sauce with little heat and more of a little herby zest to it (probably mostly oregano). The cheese was once again abundant and appeared to be a typical Wisconsin mozzarella type. Also, once again, my Italian sausage turned out to be pork sausage, which disappointed me again. I was wondering whatever happened to the Germanic and Italian brethren that headed west from Chicago. The mushrooms were once again the canned variety. Everyone seemed to enjoy their pizzas and thought it was a good meal.


As I was paying the bill I was able to get a look at the kitchen. Typical equipment you would expect in a place that's been around since the mid-60's: big Hobart mixer, sheeter, Blodgett deck ovens. I couldn't see much else from where I stood.


Overall, I thought Joe's Pizza was another good choice. It didn't carry the flavor(s) I had been looking for, and it was even slightly more disappointing than Bordenaro's. So, I give Joe's Pizza in Dixon IL 3 ½ out of 5 pizzas. Still good, and I wouldn't mind going back, but I would like to try a couple of the other mom-and-pop places in town before returning here.

No comments:

Post a Comment